FIFTH AVENUE DIAMOND EXPERTS
GENERAL TIPS FOR ALL JEWELLERY TYPES
- Remove jewellery before entering any aquatic environment, while conducting cleaning tasks or while doing exercise.
- Thoroughly dry your jewellery with a clean, dry and soft cloth once it has been exposed to water.
- Makeup, Perfume and hairspray can damage your jewellery. Make sure that your accessories are the last to be put on.
- Make sure that your jewellery is the first thing to come off before getting undressed.
- Gently wipe your jewellery clean to remove skin oils and makeup.
- To avoid scratching your gold jewellery you should keep it stored in a separate compartment within your jewellery box.
- Delicate fashion pieces should not be worn every day.
- Diamond pieces should be professionally cleaned once a year.
- Regularly check rings to ensure claws or settings are not damaged.
- If there is damage, avoid wearing the item until checked by a jeweller.
- Prepare a small bowl of warm water with a mild detergent. Brush pieces gently with a soft toothbrush and rinse under warm running water then pat dry with a soft cloth. Alternatively, you may purchase jewellery cleaner from your Showcase Jeweller which comes with its own easy to follow instructions.
- White gold jewellery is plated and is susceptible to wear over time.
- Avoid wearing white gold jewellery while performing household tasks.
- White gold should be professionally cleaned, polished and re-plated annually to ensure longevity and shine.
- Alternatively, purchase a quality jewellery cleaning solution and cloth from your jeweller and clean your jewellery frequently.
- Do not allow crystal jewellery to come into contact with hot water as it may cause the stone to appear cloudy.
- Avoid wearing other jewellery with your crystals as they are soft and may scratch.
- Do not use jewellery cleaning solutions to clean your crystal as it could affect the lustre and loosen its settings.
- Pearls are porous and must be kept separately from other jewellery wrapped in a soft cloth or pouch.
- Do not store pearls in an airtight container as they need moisture.
- Ensure your pearls do not touch perfumes or lotions as it may deteriorate the surface of the pearl.
- Gently wipe after each wear to prevent deterioration.
- You should have your pearls restrung every two years.
- Gently wipe the pearls with a warm, damp cloth to remove body oils or dirt (which may harm the colours) before putting them away.
- Wash pearls periodically with mild soap (NOT detergent) and a soft cloth. When finished washing the pearls, rinse them in clean water and wrap them in a thin, damp cotton towel to dry. If the pearls are especially dirty, wipe the pearl with acetone polish remover. Acetone will not hurt pearls. DO NOT use jewellery cleaners with ammonia or vinegar in them.
- Regardless of water resistance remove all watches before showering and store in a dry place. The steam in the shower or bathroom can cause irreparable damage.
- Do not wear a watch while performing physical activity, unless they are sports watches designed to withstand the motion.
- Store separately from other jewellery so that it doesn’t get scratched.
- Wipe with a jewellery cloth after every use to remove damaging makeup and skin oils.
- Never use abrasive chemicals, such as alcohol to clean your watch.
- Watch should not be worn in bed. Especially, where there is a magnetic underlay in use.
- Take your gemstone jewellery to your local jeweller for a professional clean at least once a year.
- You can keep your gemstones clean by wiping them down with a clean soft damp cloth after wearing.
- Some gemstones are softer than others therefore you should avoid knocking them, exposing them to heat and jewellery cleaners.